Sunday, April 25, 2010

Gerald Matthew Museum of Un-Natural History

If you haven't checked out Matthew's Surrealist Dada Museum on Main Street in Walla Walla, you're missing out on an amazing feature of the town! Get down there and check it out. Details and more from his website...


I once lived next to the American Museum of Natural History in Manhatten in an apartment made for big parties. One rowdy night we all invaded the grounds of the museum and drunkenly agreed there was a need for a museum of un-natural history to present a less factual point of view. In fact, perhaps, a provocative, even offensive, point of view for the rare discerning few.

The moment arrived in the summer of 2001 after my first gallery show in Walla Walla, Washington left me with too many cumbersome constructions to take home, and I realized an ambition to curate a museum of my own works. A loft space became available over Tallman’s Drugs on Main Street in downtown Walla Walla for a price I could manage. I gutted the room, painted it and moved in on September 10, 2001.

Since then, I’ve been open every Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm. There is no charge, and I can be persuaded to open at any reasonable hour for those who are willing to use the telephone or internet and promise to say something interesting in my guest book.

No comments: