Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Dragon's Take on Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook


I always like the Dragon's 'tude when he posts. Plus Anthony Bourdain kicks ass. Word up to Tod and his chef buddies in Seattle for turning me onto his delectable culinary arts and nefarious wit. Oh, and Dragon? Don't ever mention Borders again or we'll dismember you and flavor some sea water with yer bones. Arrrrhhh!

...By way of explaining my personal aesthic to other creative friends, I use to say that I wanted to be the love child of Captain Kangaroo and William S. Burroughs. I want to synthesize a certain sense of whimsy, with a darker, edgier side. In the culinary arts, Alton Brown represents the geeky, playful side of that equation. The edgier, more punk side is best represented by Anthony Bourdain. And fortunately for me, Borders had his Les Halles Cookbook in stock.
Now, I've never really had any aspirations to master French cuisine. I always viewed it as hoity-toity and pretentious. My predilictions have always been towards simple, basic peasant fare, with perhaps a little something extra added, but built on a solid working class foundation. Of course, the more I have managed the kitchen in our household, the more this working class frugality has led me to do things like save every bone that comes off a plate. I'm using more and more stock in my cooking, and it seems ridiculous to pay the exorbitant prices grocery stores ask for what tastes like sea water with a hint of meat flavor...Read More...


Thanks Honky Tonk Dragon!

No comments: